Architect Uttam Chand Jain was born in 1934 in Melwara, Rajasthan. He completed his schooling at Jodhpur Rajasthan. He graduated in architecture with I class honors in 1958 at Indian institute of technology, Kharagpur where he was a merit scholar throughout. Soon after receiving advance study scholarship from national university of Tucumen, Argentina proceeded to Latin America where for two years he studied and gained experience. Architect Uttam Chand Jain established his own architecture practice in 1961. He handled institutional buildings, commercial complexes, recreational facilities, tourists projects, luxury hotels, theaters, housing, private residences, and university campus layout. Taught at various architectural colleges and been examiner at university of Bombay, Punjab university, Chandigarh, Baroda university; Ahmadabad school of architecture and school of planning and architecture, New Delhi. He served on jury of national competitions in architecture on many occasions.
- 1958 Graduated in Architecture (B.Arch.) with 1st Class Honors on a scholarship from I.I.T Kharagpur, West Bengal
- 1958-59Advanced study scholarship from the National University of Tucuman, Argentina
1961 to date : In private practice
His buildings reflect the heritage of that particular place
- He is not much bothered about the trends and always try to conceive the building in his own style .
- The various projects he has undertaken since then reflect the consistent contextually inherit in his design philosophy.
- First achievement was in 1969 common wealth institute of architects, London awarded prize in India essay competitions.
- In 1973 he won first prize in all India architectural competition sponsored by government of Goa for memorial design.
- He was listed as one of the three Indian architects among 200 contemporary worlds architects by Japan architects , Tokyo in 1977
- In 1978 Washington university USA invited him to speak at their Tuesday lecture series on “a contemporary architecture of the past”.